Welcome to the home of Smiths Station United Soccer Association Academy soccer league. Follow the links below for registration. If you are looking for Recreation please click here.
What is “Academy”?
- It is a more invested and highly detailed program for children between the ages of 6 and 18.
- Cost is $350 unless your child is returning and keeping their kits. If you keep the kit, you will receive a $75 credit dropping your price to $275.
- We Know this amount may be higher than some are willing to pay, but related to other clubs in the area, we are the most affordable option.
- We include 2 tournaments and friendly matches with other local clubs between Montgomery and LaGrange
- The money paid goes to paying refs, providing training equipment for our academy players, and funding tournaments, per diem for coaches, and lodging for coaches travelling to tournaments
- We use the term academy as all encompassing instead of the traditional Jr. Academy (6-8), Academy (9-12), Club (13-16), Select (17-18)
- Jr. Academy and Academy will be fall & spring
- Club and Select will be FALL ONLY except in the event we have the numbers for these teams in spring.
- This is not replacing Express, this is just a new term for it.
- SSUSA Express is the “team name” similar to LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, etc.
- Our logo is the train because of Smiths Stations history as a hub between Columbus and Opelika
- Express is not a fast-track to learning soccer. The only fast track is practicing at home and keeping the ball at your feet.
What are our goals?
- Teach life lessons to each child through the healthy competition of sports
- Teach soccer at a technical and tactical level to each child
- Build a program centered around the well-being of the community through volunteer efforts, and local outreach
How do we achieve these goals?
- Coaches get a “focus word” for the weeks practices
- These will be given to the coaches at the beginning of the season
- Examples: Attitude, Bravery, Caring, Dedication, Empathy, Fairness, Generosity, Honesty, Integrity, Joy, Kindness, Loyalty, Motivation, Perseverance, Respect, Self-Control, Teamwork
- Coaches get outlined practice lessons based on age group.
- focuses on abilities (trapping, passing, dribbling)
- basic terminology. (shot, assist, marking)
- begins building the terminology. (types of passes, switching the field)
- Learning positioning
- Work in more detail on tactical (formations, positioning, recovery)
- Learn how to properly use the head as a passing and shooting mechanism
- Implement all of the above in a fully immersive 11v11 atmosphere
- Teams volunteer at local events that benefit different parts of the community
- Smiths Station clean up day
- Hosting Trunk-or-Treats
- Picking up trash around the complex